The cosmopolitan city of Montreal is adored by couples and wedding planners looking for stunning venues in Quebec, Canada, as it offers a dynamic fusion of history, contemporary style, and well-preserved nature. While many would expect such a high-profile city to only offer high-priced event spaces, Montreal features a diverse array of affordable wedding venues that range from a historic auberge and a beloved park to a modern art gallery and a sprawling portside structure with chic, industrial reception halls. No matter the theme you want to create for your nuptials, Montreal can deliver. Here are 5 Montreal wedding venues on a budget that are sure to appease your vision and pocketbook as you plan your wedding.
Located in the quaint area of Sherbrooke, the historic Auberge Saint-Gabriel was built in 1688 and was the first auberge (French for inn) in North America to receive a liquor license in 1754. Now an acclaimed Quebec eatery, it’s an ideal, budget-friendly venue for couples hoping for a wedding with old-world grandeur, dramatic flairs of romanticism, and a chateau feel.
The restaurant features 4 banquet halls that can accommodate everything from intimate weddings to large nuptials:
- Dulong Hall, which can comfortably fit 64 guests for a seated meal, offers a rustic-chic space with antique chandeliers and hardwood floors.
- Grenier Hall is one of the most popular event spaces for those with a big guest list, as it can accommodate 150 for a sit-down dinner. This room takes up the majority of the top floor and creates a bold ambiance with rich colors, a fireplace, and an open-beamed ceiling.
- Sabrevois Hall is the main dining area for the restaurant and can accommodate 80 seated guests.
- Truteau Hall is one of the most striking rooms in this venue, as it features mood lighting, intriguing pops of color in stained-glass windows, and exposed stone walls. Plus, it can seat 112 guests.
Typical Cost: Starting fee is $2,654.30CAD
Bonus: This award-winning gastronomic restaurant creates superb culinary experiences for wedding parties with dishes such as Middle Eastern bison tartar, eggplant tortellini, lobster spaghetti, and homemade sorbet.
Located at the crossroads between Westmount, Laval and the western suburbs of the island of Montreal, the 3,000-square-foot Canvas Montreal Reception Loft is a stunning, open-floor-plan venue that seamlessly mixes old and new. As the building is a century old, its historic architecture emanates sophistication while its modern décor creates a chic aesthetic. The result is a high-end ambiance that makes any wedding reception stand out.
Canvas Kitchen, the in-house caterers that provide dishes both delicious and beautifully constructed, also adds to the venue’s appeal and ambiance. The caterers are able to make comfort food favorites such as mac n’ cheese, sliders, and spring rolls look and taste like gourmet treats. Meanwhile, the on-hand bartenders and wait staff ensure the “eat, drink, and be merry” portion of your wedding day goes off without a hitch.
Additional amenities include a dance floor, a photo booth, a DJ, aisle runners and markers, audio equipment, decor, drapery and centerpieces, furniture, flatware, china, glassware and barware, and ambient lighting.
Typical Cost: Starting fee for a wedding reception is $663.58CAD; average catering fee is $119.44CAD per person
Bonus: Outside alcohol and cake are allowed without additional fees.
This spectacular venue within the Montreal Science Centre offers 4 reception halls that showcase the grandeur of the city’s industrial and maritime heritage. In the Old Port of Montreal‘s 24,000 square feet of space, couples can choose from The Belvedere, The Perspective 235°, The Panoramic Hall, and The Clock Tower Beach.
- A sprawling, warehouse-chic event space, The Belvedere room includes an indoor hall, a large covered balcony, and a rooftop terrace, as well as panoramic views of Old Montreal, the Old Port, the St. Lawrence River, and the Parc des îles.
- The Perspective 235° is a blank canvas, allowing guests to craft the wedding reception of their dreams in this expansive hall that features floor-to-ceiling windows and an outdoor terrace with views of Old Montreal and the city’s downtown sector.
- The aptly-named Panoramic Hall is a modern, industrial space with soaring ceilings and walls of windows that make you feel like you’re floating among the surrounding skyscrapers.
- One of the most unique venues for an outdoor wedding ceremony in Montreal, The Clock Tower Beach allows guests to sink their toes in soft sand while taking in the majesty of the St. Lawrence River, Jacques-Cartier Bridge, and The Clock Tower.
Old Port Montreal is the place to go if you’re hosting a large wedding and have an affinity for modern aesthetics.
Typical Cost: Starting fee for the off-peak season is $4,660.95CAD, and starting fee for peak season is $8,476.51CAD
Bonus: The bridal party can prepare for the big day in comfort within the venue’s complimentary bridal suite.
4. Mount Royal
An ideal setting for an outdoor Canadian wedding, this small mountain is a wonderland of biodiversity and history, as it’s home to 3 summits, several parks, cemeteries, monuments, and numerous historical sites. The woodlands, wetlands, and meadows within this thriving landscape create seemingly endless options for ceremony sites. But the areas around Beaver Lake, Mount Royal Chalet, and Belvedere Kondiaronk are the most popular, as they provide compelling backdrops for your special event. If you have less than 50 guests, you don’t need a permit to host a low-key ceremony in Mount Royal.
When it’s time for the wedding reception, couples can use Mount Royal’s Smith House which has 1 room on the second floor that’s optimal for smaller groups. Constructed in 1858, this historic structure lies in the heart of Mount Royal, halfway between Beaver Lake and the Mount Royal Chalet. Additionally, Mount Royal’s picnic areas can be used for receptions, but there are numerous guidelines couples and guests are expected to honor.
Typical Cost: $477.77CAD for Smith House for 4 hours; $66.36CAD for audiovisual equipment
Bonus: The park borders Downtown Montreal, so it’s close proximity to many of the city’s best hotels such as Hotel Nelligan and Hotel Le Crystal.
5. Galerie MX
An art gallery exuding taste and refined elegance, Galerie MX offers culture lovers a prime place to pledge their love. One of the best wedding venues in Montreal if you’re on a budget, this bright, 6,000-square-foot wedding venue is the apex of modern style, as it offers couples wanting one-of-a-kind nuptials a space that’s filled with clean lines and creative genius.
The intriguing, bi-level gallery and banquet hall can accommodate up to 370 guests for a cocktail party and 115 for a sit-down reception. Additionally, the venue provides ample convenience and cosmopolitan vibes, as it’s located in the center of Downtown Montreal. If you want to impress your guests with an unexpected and innovative venue, this is your spot.
Typical Cost: $4,379.60CAD
Bonus: You won’t need extra décor on your special day, as this Montreal wedding venue is already adorned with creations by acclaimed artists. But to ensure your centerpieces complement the surrounding art, check out the current exhibit as you plan your floral arrangements and other special touches.