Planning your honeymoon is one of the most enjoyable activities under the wedding planning umbrella — at least until you get to the price tag. Because a wedding can cost a pretty penny, many couples need to find a budget-friendly option for their romantic, post-wedding getaway or set up a honeymoon fund so their wedding guests can contribute.
To help you look forward to an amazing trip (without draining your bank account), we’ve pulled together 15 affordable honeymoon destinations that are just as stunning as they are economical.
One of the most idyllic settings for a romantic honeymoon, Yountville, California is nestled in the foodie and wine-lover haven of Napa Valley, providing a small-town ambiance that’s rich with culture.
Michelin-star restaurants, award-winning tasting rooms, and a host of art galleries and boutique accommodations make Yountville a prime destination for newlyweds wanting a sophisticated experience.
Where to Stay:
- Hotel Yountville: One of the most luxurious locations to stay in this charming town, Hotel Yountville features finely-appointed accommodations, an acclaimed spa, and Heritage Oak, one of the best restaurants in Napa Valley.
- Lavender, A Four Sisters Inn: If you’re looking for a bed and breakfast, check out Lavender, A Four Sisters Inn. It provides guests with a fireplace in each room, a free full breakfast, evening wine, and hors d’oeuvres.
With shorelines that disappear into the warm waters of the Caribbean, Riviera Maya, Mexico is a go-to choice — especially for couples envisioning long walks on a beautiful beach.
This laidback honeymoon destination has a lovely balance of pampering and adventure, offering hotels with world-class spas and parks with an exciting range of activities. Xcaret is the most famous park, providing opportunities to explore underground rivers, snorkel in the Caribbean, interact with local wildlife, and experience Mayan ruins.
Where to Stay:
If you enjoy all-inclusive resorts, Riviera Maya has you covered with an extensive collection of beachfront accommodations that ensure almost every honeymoon need is met. Some of the most popular and affordable lodgings include:
- Hotel Xcaret: To fully immerse yourself in the history and jungle setting of Riviera Maya, look no further than Hotel Xcaret, located in the heart of the Xcaret parks.
For couples wanting a truly unique and spectacular honeymoon, Krabi, Thailand is an ideal destination. A highlight of this region is the commanding karst formations — a type of landscape formed by the dissolution of soluble rocks that leave behind otherworldly rock formations, underground streams, and caves.
Krabi is particularly distinctive because many of the formations jut out of the sea dramatically. Because of this, romantic rides in kayaks or long-tailed boats, leisurely swims beneath soaring cliffs, and rock climbing (for the bravest love-birds), are some of the most popular activities in the area.
When you’re ready to swap saltwater for freshwater, head to the Thung Teao Forest Natural Park where you’ll find the stunning Crystal Lagoon that’s filled with warm, clear water. The Klong Thom Hot Springs is another popular option for water lovers. Want to connect to the spiritual side of Thailand? Explore Wat Tham Sua, a temple within a cave inhabited by monks.
Where to Stay
Krabi is one of the best affordable honeymoon destinations. You can score a room for a fraction of what it would cost almost anywhere else including at these gorgeous resorts:
- Railay Bay Resort and Spa: If you stay at Railay Bay Resort and Spa, you’ll spend your time nestled in a spacious cottage set in a tropical landscape bordering the ocean.
- Islanda Hideaway Resort: A great option for sporty couples, Islanda Hideaway Resort offers easy access to a platter of activities.
Cobblestone streets, a thriving music scene, and ancient history combine to help you create a romantic getaway in Lisbon, Portugal. Quickly becoming a popular, affordable honeymoon destination, Lisbon is filled with chic sites to savor your love. The Bairro Alto Hotel, for example, has a rooftop bar that serves some of the best Portuguese wine and Sangria in the area and offers one of the best places to witness Lisbon’s famous sunsets.
To get your fill of culture, sightsee at the 500-year-old Monastery of Jeronimos, the Discoverers Monument, and São Jorge Castle. When you’ve worked up an appetite, head to the city’s waterfront (aka Foodie Heaven). This area provides a full-on immersion into Portuguese cuisine with fresh fare in must-try dishes such as codfish croquettes.
Where to Stay
- Portugal Boutique Hotel: Want to be in the center of the action? Book a room at the modern Portugal Boutique Hotel. It’s shockingly affordable and just a short walk to Rossio Square and Se de Lisboa, a famous cathedral.
- Solar do Castelo: To steep yourself in Portugal’s local culture, stay at Solar do Castelo, a former 18th-century mansion that’s set within the walls of São Jorge Castle.
For a fusion of nightlife, beach lounging, and breathtaking natural surroundings, celebrate your union in the coveted Bali beach town of Seminyak.
While the many resorts lining the beach are hard to pull away from, get outside to enjoy the enchanting grounds of the Petitenget Temple, a Balinese cooking class at The Amala, and surfing and horseback riding on one of the many beaches. Then, be sure to top off all this enrichment with a wild beach party on Double Six Beach.
If you happen to catch Seminyak on a rainy day, head to the interactive Dream Museum Zone where you can snap surreal, one-of-a-kind photos for your social media feeds. You can also check out the Nyaman Gallery that’s filled with contemporary art by local, up-and-coming artists.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Indigo Bali Seminyak Beach: Indulge in a 5-star hotel, without paying an indulgent price, by booking a stay at Hotel Indigo Bali Seminyak Beach. This hotel has gorgeous Balinese touches that make you feel immersed in the culture.
- The Bandha: If you want the type of honeymoon that consists of shacking up with your bride or groom in opulent surroundings, snag a suite at The Bandha which offers a suite with a private pool.
If you envision a vacation spent sunbathing, Crete, Greece might be your dream destination where white-sand beaches abound on this island in the Aegean Sea. Elafonisi Beach, one of the most spellbinding shorelines, is coated in pink sand which makes it a truly memorable location for a romantic picnic and swim. Speaking of picnics, Crete is known for the locally-made Feta cheese and raki, a distilled spirit made from grape pomace that was pressed for the winemaking process.
History buffs will appreciate the island, as it was settled 4,000 years ago and is sprinkled with the ruins of Minoan palaces, Venetian and Ottoman architecture, and a citadel that was used to defend the Crete town of Rethymno from pirate attacks in the 16th-century.
Where to Stay
- Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort: Couples who like to keep their childlike spirit alive will adore the 5-star Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort that features numerous high-octane water slides, an expansive beach covered in cabanas, and chic guest rooms.
- Megaron Historical Monument Hotel: For a combination of glamour and history, stay in the Megaron Historical Monument Hotel that was built in 1920 and converted to a luxury hotel in 2003.
The striking Sangre de Cristo mountains, a dynamic art scene, and hotels made of earth-toned adobe await in Santa Fe, New Mexico, a captivating town founded in 1610 as a Spanish colony.
If wandering through art galleries, sampling delicious Southwestern cuisine (Be sure to try the sopapillas!), and purchasing wares from Native American jewelry-makers sounds compelling, be sure to stay in one of the many hotels near Santa Fe Plaza. Two can’t-miss museums in this area include the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum and New Mexico Museum of Art.
If you’re honeymooning in the fall, make the drive to Santa Fe Ski. This is where a chairlift transports you to the top of a mountain which opens to mindblowing views of a sea of yellow and orange Aspen trees. For the ultimate romantic experience, stop at the Ten Thousand Waves Japanese spa on the way back to town where you can rent a private outdoor hot tub.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Santa Fe, Hacienda & Spa: Located in Downtown Santa Fe, Hotel Santa Fe, Hacienda & Spa is adorned with rustic, Native American-inspired decor and is a short walk to many of the town’s hotspots.
- Sunrise Springs Spa Resort: For a more scenic experience, consider the Sunrise Springs Spa Resort that’s perched on the outskirts of town on 70-lush acres fed by natural springs.
Known as the “garden isle,” Kauai is one of the lushest, most visually-appealing Hawaiian islands, as it’s filled with tropical marvels such as Banyan trees, birds-of-paradise, bougainvillea, bromeliads, hibiscus, orchids, plumeria, and a rainbow of other flora.
And then there’s the exotic fauna roaming the clear waters. A honeymoon on Kauai demands snorkeling, as the pristine beaches disappear into an underwater world where meetings with monk seals, green sea turtles, humpback whales, and manta rays are common.
This thriving, nature-based island is an irresistible choice for couples wanting to celebrate their new life together while engaging with nature through hiking, zip-lining, and a bevy of water sports.
Where to Stay
- Kauai Beach Resort: Ideal for privacy, Kauai Beach Resort is tucked away near the Kalepa Mountain Forest Reserve and is a short drive to gems like Fern Grotto and ʻŌpaekaʻa Falls.
A highly underrated destination in Europe, the Istria, Croatia region is filled with charming shops lining cobblestone streets, rolling hills, and verdant vineyards. Not only does it offer olive oil that’s so good you wish you could spend your honeymoon eating only oil dipped in fresh bread, but there’s also the wine. Local winemakers have made award-winning varieties of Muscat, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon and provide tastings in gorgeous, scenic locations. Essentially, this is a foodie paradise.
If you’re interested in Croatian history, head to Pula where you can tour the Temple of Augustus or the Pula Arena, a Roman amphitheater and underground museum, respectively. Visiting between June and September? Tour the nature park Cape Kamenjak where you can swim and snorkel in the strikingly-blue water the Adriatic Sea is known for.
Where to Stay
Istria is filled with luxury hotels with price tags so low you’ll be tempted to extend your trip by a few weeks. These include:
- Meneghetti Wine Hotel & Winery: If you want to commune with the Croatian countryside, go for the 5-star Meneghetti Wine Hotel & Winery that makes you feel like you’re staying in a chic farmhouse.
- Valamar Sanfior Hotel: To lounge by the sea, book a room at the glamorous Valamar Sanfior Hotel that features a spa, candlelit dinners, and easy access to the town of Rabac.
Honeymooners seeking nature-made beauty and outdoor adventure will easily fall in love with Banff National Park. Awe-inspiring mountains with seemingly endless hiking trails, wildlife tours that often provide elk and grizzly bear sightings, and bodies of water with emerald and deep-blue hues ensure you never run out of opportunities for exploration.
For those who love water, kayaking on Lake Louise or Moraine Lake and booking a boat cruise on Lake Minnewanka is a must. Hikers will enjoy Fenland Trail, Sunshine Meadows, and Tunnel Mountain. When you’re ready to wind down, head to Banff Upper Hot Springs for a soak in hot mineral water that enhances blood circulation and reduces stress.
If you’re visiting Banff in the winter, be sure to go on a dog sledding tour, hop on a sleigh ride, and go tubing at Mount Norquay.
Where to Stay
Rimrock Resort Hotel: For couples wanting to mix affordable grandeur with their outdoorsy honeymoon, stay at the palatial Rimrock Resort Hotel that has gourmet dining, a spa, and staggering views from every corner of the resort.
Want a more boutique experience? Explore these lodging options:
If you want your romantic getaway to feel like it was plucked from the pages of a storybook, head to Carmel-by-the-Sea. This exceedingly-charming small town on the California coast makes you feel like you’ve traveled back in time. After all, the quaint community has barely changed since it’s incorporation in 1916.
To prevent “citification,” street addresses are absent. Instead, all citizens are required to use a central post office and, in some cases, bestow names like “Hansel” or “Sea Urchin” on their homes. While Carmel-by-the-Sea is small, at only one square mile, it’s filled with an assortment of inns, restaurants, art galleries, scenic excursions, and more. All of these come together to create an ideal getaway for those looking for a laidback yet culturally-stimulating experience.
Some of the most romantic stops include a scenic walk at Point Lobos or Carmel Beach, a tour of the whimsical Tor House, and happy hour at Clint Eastwood’s Mission Ranch Restaurant. And don’t forget the wine tasting at the over 20 tasting rooms.
Where to Stay
- The Normandy Inn; Lincoln Green Inn: Keep with the quaint theme by staying at The Normandy Inn or Lincoln Green Inn, both of which emulate fairytale vibes.
- Cypress Inn: If you want to experience Old Hollywood elegance, book a room at the Cypress Inn, which was co-owned by Doris Day and has decor reminiscent of the 1920s.
Spanning the Continental Divide and consisting of protected mountains, forests, and alpine tundra, in addition to wild rivers and tranquil lakes, Rocky Mountain National Park is a wonderland of rustic marvels.
Couples that delight in hiking will appreciate the world-class trails and scenic lookouts that fill the park. Premier trails include Mount Ida, Hallett Peak, Chasm Lake, and Emerald Lake. When you want to rest your legs, take a drive on Trail Ridge Road, check out Forest Canyon Overlook, and picnic at Hidden Valley.
Where to Stay
If you’re visiting between June and early-September, and you enjoy camping, consider snagging a spot at these sites:
For those wanting plusher digs, post up in Estes Park. Prime accommodations in this popular tourist town include:
A tapestry of golden beaches, charming harbor towns, castles, and a thriving culinary scene make County Wexford, Ireland a must-see for couples who’ve been yearning to experience “The Emerald Isle.” Stops such as the Hook Lighthouse, Dunbrody Famine Ship, and Irish National Heritage Park provide fascinating insights into the ancient Irish culture.
When you want to explore the natural landscape, head to Curracloe Beach, famous for its rolling dunes, or Rosslare Beach which is a great spot for sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, stand up paddle-boarding, bodyboarding, and kite-surfing. Colclough Walled Garden, Wexford Wildfowl Reserve, and Wells House and Gardens are other ideal locations for getting some fresh air and taking in the Irish countryside.
Wexford is also a total win for opera aficionados, as it’s home to The National Opera House and the site of an opera festival that takes place between late-October and early-November.
Where to Stay
- Dunbrody Country House Hotel: This is the place to stay in Wexford, as the 19th-century Georgian manor will make you feel like you’re guests of royalty. In addition to the opulent surroundings, Dunbrody Country House Hotel is known for its food and drink. It serves highly-lauded, full Irish breakfasts and craft beers from the local microbrewery in the pub, which features live music on the weekends. The hotel also features a cooking school that offers hands-on classes for guests.
As the second-deepest lake (and one of the highest) in the US, Lake Tahoe provides a one-of-a-kind ambiance composed of alpine flora and fauna. Along the 72-mile shoreline rests a wide range of experiences, from upscale resorts and gourmet eateries on the north shore to thriving nightlife along the south banks.
If you’re visiting in the winter, you’ll be treated to a wide array of world-class ski resorts like Squaw Valley, Northstar, and Heavenly. In the summer, the lake comes alive with sun-worshippers enjoying boating, paddleboarding, snorkeling, and scuba diving — not to mention long naps on the shore. There’s also an abundance of cycling and hiking opportunities.
This is the place to go if you want an active honeymoon. And as an added perk, you can score budget-friendly airfare to nearby Reno, Nevada from many major US cities.
Where to Stay
For a quiet getaway focused on nature, check out:
Wanting an active party scene? Book a stay at:
Located in Montana’s Rocky Mountains, the remarkable Glacier National Park offers visitors a canvas of glacier-carved mountains, verdant meadows, and 700 miles of hiking trails.
Top activities in the park include driving on the Logan Pass and the Going-to-the-Sun Road, which takes you past epic alpine scenery, hiking to the surreal Grinnell Glacier or the Trail of the Cedars, and kayaking or canoeing on the crystal clear Lake McDonald or Bowman Lake. If you want an enviable honeymoon photo album, Glacier National Park is for you.
Where to Stay
- Meadow Lake Resort: Honeymooners who want to fully immerse themselves in nature will enjoy the Meadow Lake Resort that’s located just outside of the park. It also features an on-site spa and 18-hole championship golf course.
- The Firebrand Hotel: If you’re hoping for more modern digs, check out The Firebrand Hotel, which is one of the most high-end (yet still affordable) options located in downtown Whitefish, Montana.